Pakistan pushes fresh Iran talks as Trump warns negotiations are at a “crossroads”

US 22-05-2026 | 08:52

Pakistan pushes fresh Iran talks as Trump warns negotiations are at a “crossroads”

The Middle East remains on edge as stalled negotiations between the United States and Iran fuel fears of renewed conflict, with the Strait of Hormuz emerging as a key flashpoint affecting global energy and trade markets.

Pakistan pushes fresh Iran talks as Trump warns negotiations are at a “crossroads”
Iranians hold up a picture of Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei in Tehran (AFP).
Smaller Bigger

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio expressed hope on Thursday for progress toward an agreement with Iran to end the war in the Middle East through Pakistan’s mediation, as Pakistan’s army chief, Asim Munir, is expected to visit Tehran.

 

The announcement by Iranian media of Munir’s expected visit, a prominent figure increasingly playing a role in Pakistan’s foreign relations, came a day after U.S. President Donald Trump warned that negotiations were at a “crossroads” between reaching an agreement and a resumption of hostilities.

 

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio (AFP).
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio (AFP).

 

 

Rubio told reporters on Thursday, “I believe the Pakistanis are heading to Tehran today. So hopefully that will help move things forward,” referring to efforts to advance negotiations.

 

A ceasefire reached on April 8 halted hostilities in the war launched by the United States and Israel on February 28, but negotiations have yet to produce a permanent peace agreement.

 

A war of words has replaced open conflict, but the deadlock continues to weigh on the global economy and fuel uncertainty.

 

The Iranian Students News Agency (ISNA) revealed on Thursday the expected visit of Munir, saying it aims to continue “talks and consultations.” Other media outlets reported the same, while Pakistan has yet to confirm sending an envoy.

 

Pakistan hosted a round of direct negotiations in April between U.S. and Iranian officials, the only such meeting since the war broke out.

 

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and Pakistan Army Chief Asim Munir (AFP).
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and Pakistan Army Chief Asim Munir (AFP).

 

Munir played a central role in that round of talks, receiving the delegations upon their arrival and displaying notable cordiality with the heads of the negotiating teams — U.S. Vice President JD Vance and Iranian Shura Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf.

However, the talks ultimately ended in failure, with Iran accusing the United States of making 'excessive' demands.

 

Since then, both sides have exchanged several proposals, while the risk of renewed war persists amid ongoing verbal warnings.

Donald Trump told reporters on Wednesday that the issue is “at a complete crossroads, believe me. If we don’t get the right answers, things will deteriorate very quickly. We are all on high alert.”

He added, “We must get the right answers — they must be 100% complete answers.”

American Criticism of NATO 
Meanwhile, Iranian Shura Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf accused Washington on Wednesday of seeking to resume the war, warning of a “strong response” if Iran comes under attack. He said, “The enemy’s overt and covert moves show that, despite economic and political pressure, it has not abandoned its military objectives and is seeking to start a new war.” 

 

Simultaneously, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei said on Wednesday that Tehran is reviewing points received from Washington, while reiterating its demands for the release of frozen Iranian assets abroad and an end to the U.S. naval blockade on its ports. 

 

 

Donald Trump is facing growing domestic political pressure amid rising energy costs. While the ceasefire halted the fighting, it has not led to the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz — the vital waterway through which roughly one-fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas supplies pass.

 

Strait of Hormuz.
Strait of Hormuz.

 

The future of the Strait of Hormuz remains a major sticking point in the negotiations, amid growing concerns that the global economy could face further strain from declining oil reserves that had already been shrinking before the war.

Marco Rubio renewed his criticism of NATO on Thursday for failing to support the U.S. war effort against Iran, particularly by refusing to contribute to any operation aimed at reopening the Strait of Hormuz

 

Rubio, speaking as he headed to Sweden for a NATO foreign ministers’ meeting, said Trump “is not asking them to deploy their fighters. But they refuse to do anything… We were very disappointed by that.”

Iran imposed restrictions on the Strait of Hormuz as part of its response during the war, allowing only a limited number of vessels from “friendly” countries to pass through under a transit fee system. 

 

The Strait of Hormuz also handles around one-third of global fertilizer shipments, fueling concerns over potential food shortages and rising prices if the restrictions continue.