Trump-Netanyahu call turns tense over Iran as Israel pushes for military action

US 21-05-2026 | 09:12

Trump-Netanyahu call turns tense over Iran as Israel pushes for military action

A heated Trump-Netanyahu phone call exposed growing divisions over Iran, with Israel increasingly frustrated by Washington’s diplomatic path and reports emerging of a proposed U.S.-Iran deal to halt the war.

Trump-Netanyahu call turns tense over Iran as Israel pushes for military action
A previous meeting between U.S. President Donald Trump (right) and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House (AFP).
Smaller Bigger

 

 

Tensions marred Tuesday’s phone call between U.S. President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, revealing a divergence in their approaches to the war with Iran, according to CNN, citing a U.S. official.

 

 

 

According to the source, Trump informed Netanyahu during a previous call on Sunday that he was likely to proceed with launching new attacks against Iran early this week, in an operation expected to be named “Heavy Hammer.”

 

 

 

The contrast was clear between Trump, who continues to bet on a possible agreement, and Netanyahu, who had expected a different direction, according to an Israeli official.

Sources added that Netanyahu's frustration with Trump's approach is not new, especially regarding his threats which quickly recede.

 

Details of the Call

According to Axios, Trump held a lengthy and “difficult” phone call with Netanyahu on Tuesday evening.

 

 

A U.S. source familiar with the call said Trump informed Netanyahu that intermediaries are working on drafting a “letter of intent” to be signed by both the United States and Iran, formally ending the war and launching a 30-day negotiation period on issues such as Iran’s nuclear program and reopening the Strait of Hormuz. 

 

A person from the Iranian community in Australia holds a sign supporting U.S. President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. (AFP)
A person from the Iranian community in Australia holds a sign supporting U.S. President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. (AFP)

 

Two Israeli sources indicated that the leaders differed over the course of action to be taken, while the American source said, “Bibi’s hair was standing on end from tension after the call,” describing him as extremely on edge.

The source added that Israeli Ambassador to Washington Yechiel Leiter informed American lawmakers that Netanyahu was concerned about the call. However, an embassy spokesperson denied that characterization, saying, “The ambassador does not comment on private conversations.”

Two other sources reported that Netanyahu had been extremely anxious during previous stages of the negotiations, even when the agreements were collapsing. One source said, “Bibi is always worried.”

Additionally, an Israeli source revealed that Netanyahu wishes to visit Washington in the coming weeks to meet with Trump.