Trump warns Iran of possible new strikes as nuclear talks enter “final stages”

Middle East 21-05-2026 | 08:22

Trump warns Iran of possible new strikes as nuclear talks enter “final stages”

Tehran says it is reviewing Washington’s latest proposal amid Pakistani mediation, while Trump warns that failure to reach a deal could trigger renewed military action.


Trump warns Iran of possible new strikes as nuclear talks enter “final stages”
U.S. President Donald Trump (AFP).
Smaller Bigger

Iran’s official Nour News website quoted Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei as saying that Tehran “has received the views of the American side and is currently reviewing them.” 

 

He stated: "Messages have been exchanged on several occasions based on our 14-point proposal."

 

 

He added that Pakistan, which hosted peace talks last month and has been playing a mediating role in the exchange of messages between the two sides, continues to mediate between Tehran and Washington, with several rounds of communication having taken place.


 

U.S. President Donald Trump announced on Wednesday that the United States is prepared to wait a few more days for what he described as the “appropriate response” from Iran. 


 

Trump added that negotiations with Iran are in their final stages, warning of further attacks if no agreement is reached.

 

U.S. President Donald Trump. (AFP)
U.S. President Donald Trump. (AFP)

 

Trump said he was close to ordering additional attacks, but decided to postpone them to allow more time for negotiations.


 

Trump told reporters: “We are in the final stages with Iran. We will see what happens. Either we will reach an agreement, or we will do some bad things, which I hope will not happen.” 


 

He continued: “We will give it a chance. I’m not in a hurry. Ideally, I would rather see a few people killed than many. We can do it either way.”


 

Iran accused Trump of planning to resume the war and threatened to launch attacks beyond the Middle East in response to any new strikes against it.


 

Iran put forward a new proposal to the United States this week, but its publicly stated terms largely repeat demands previously rejected by Trump, including control over the Strait of Hormuz, war reparations, the lifting of sanctions, the release of frozen assets and funds, and the withdrawal of U.S. troops from the region.


 

Since the ceasefire came into effect on April 8, communications have continued in an effort to reach an agreement, led primarily by Pakistan, but the positions of Washington and Tehran remain far apart, particularly on the nuclear issue.