Sudan’s top general says military council will be dissolved

The military is discussing the candidates for the sovereign council with the Force for Declaration of Freedom and Change, which represents the protest movement.

8 July 2019 | 14:36

Source: Associated Press

  • Source: Associated Press
  • Last update: 8 July 2019 | 14:36

In this Saturday, June 29, 2019, file photo, Sudanese Gen. Abdel-Fattah Burhan, head of the military council, waves to his supporters upon his arrival to attend a military-backed rally in Omdurman district, west of Khartoum, Sudan. (AP Photo)

KHARTOUM, Sudan: The ruling military council will be dissolved after the formation of a new power-sharing body that will rule Sudan, according to the country's top general.

The military and pro-democracy leaders agreed last week on a joint sovereign council that will rule for a little over three years while elections are organized. A military leader will head the council for the first 21 months followed by a civilian leader for the next 18.

Gen. Abdel-Fattah Burhan, head of the military council, said in TV comments late Sunday the army could withdraw from governing the country after the end of the first 21 months.

He said the military is discussing the candidates for the sovereign council with the Force for Declaration of Freedom and Change, which represents the protest movement.

Show Comments

An-Nahar is not responsible for the comments that users post below. We kindly ask you to keep this space a clean and respectful forum for discussion.