SAO PAULO: The governor of Sao Paulo said two young men, wearing hoods and carrying several weapons, opened fire at a school in southern Brazil, killing eight people before taking their own lives.
Wednesday’s shooting happened in a public school in Suzano, a suburb of Sao Paulo, Brazil’s largest city.
Gov. Joao Doria said the two attackers were believed to be between 20 and 25 years old. He says authorities don’t believe the two were former students.
Doria said the dead included two teachers and six students, and several more people had been hospitalized after sustaining injuries.
Latin America’s largest nation has the largest number of annual homicides in the world, but school shootings are rare.
Brazil’s new President Jair Bolsonaro recently announced that gun ownership controls would be loosened.
An-Nahar is not responsible for the comments that users post below. We kindly ask you to keep this space a clean and respectful forum for discussion.