Hundreds of bodies exhumed from mass grave in Syria’s Raqqa

Estimates put the number of bodies buried there at around 1,500.

27 November 2018 | 14:49

Source: Associated Press

  • Source: Associated Press
  • Last update: 27 November 2018 | 14:49

A street view shows heavily damaged buildings in Raqqa on October 21, 2017, after a Kurdish-led force expelled the so-called Islamic State group from the northern Syrian city. (AFP Photo)

BEIRUT: A local official in Raqqa says more than 500 bodies have so far been exhumed from one of the largest mass graves discovered near the Syrian city, once the capital of the Islamic State group’s self-styled caliphate.

Raqqa was liberated in a U.S.-backed campaign that ended more than a year ago, but rescuers and recovery teams continue to locate mass graves around the northern city.

More than a month after digging began in the Panorama mass grave, forensic teams continue to lift bodies believed to have been buried there during the four-month campaign to liberate Raqqa.

Estimates put the number of bodies buried there at around 1,500. Hammoud al-Shawakh, a local official involved in the work, said Tuesday that 516 bodies have been exhumed.

Show Comments

An-Nahar is not responsible for the comments that users post below. We kindly ask you to keep this space a clean and respectful forum for discussion.