Syria’s Assad says offensive to retake Idilb to resume soon

A cease-fire stopped the government offensive on Idlib at the end of August but in recent days, opposition activists have reported shelling and airstrikes in the area.

11 November 2019 | 13:49

Source: Associated Press

  • Source: Associated Press
  • Last update: 11 November 2019 | 13:49

Syrian President Bashar Assad (AFP Photo)

DAMASCUS, Syria: Syrian President Bashar Assad's forces will soon retake control of the last major rebel stronghold in the country’s northwestern province of Idlib, according to his statement.

Assad said in an interview with Russia Today aired on Monday that they are now giving civilians some time to leave the area that is dominated by al-Qaida-linked militants.

Syrian troops launched a four-month offensive on the province earlier this year, forcing hundreds of thousands of civilians to flee their homes and capturing the important town of Khan Sheikhoun and several other villages and towns.

A cease-fire stopped the government offensive on Idlib at the end of August but in recent days, opposition activists have reported shelling and airstrikes in the area.

Show Comments

An-Nahar is not responsible for the comments that users post below. We kindly ask you to keep this space a clean and respectful forum for discussion.